Friday, June 10, 2011

Owlets

When I taught about birds, I specifically left out owls because I wanted to cover them in my nocturnal animal unit. I found this paper plate craft at Enchanted Learning. I used small paper plates so my kids could take their time coloring, but still get it done within a short amount of time. You could also use circles of paper if you don't have plates. I didn't cut out any beaks or feet. I don't know if it's because I'm getting lazy after doing this for years <smile> or because I want the project to be mostly done by the child, not me. Probably the latter. So I encouraged them to draw the beaks and feet.
The kids did all the coloring and I put it together (stapling the head onto the body and then using a hole punch and brass fasteners for the wings). My example was from years ago when I used big paper plates, not that you can tell the size from this picture...
As you can see, I had construction paper beaks and feet for the kids back then. Because mine was big I explained to the kids that I made the mama owl and they were going to make the owlets! Here's what the display looks like:


What a hoot! (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Fun Fact: Owls cannot move their eyes. They can only look straight ahead. They also cannot turn their head completely around, like many people think. They have a range of 270 degrees.

No comments: